Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Training Schedule. A new year, a new approach?

OK, so the calendar has ticked over, but does that mean I should too?  I mean, while many people are talking about the changes they're looking to make this year because of 'New Year Resolutions' and similar catchy motives, should I be reviewing my training programme?

To be honest, I'm enjoying myself way too much to justify making any major changes to my programme.  Isn't that what trail running is about?  It is for me.  Don't get me wrong; I love the competitive side to an event.  So much so that I probably do way too much mental preparation in the lead up; but during the training phase, why not just soak up the sights and freedom that trail running provides??????

I kind of 'fell' into distance running after just a few measly short runs to help keep the weight off after losing over 22kg's back in late 2011 and early 2012, and slowly increased the distance as I became stronger and more comfortable.  It wasn't until I met an old friend and work colleague at the finish line of my first event (a 15km race that I thought was a big challenge for me at the time).  I was talking to Barry about my recent introduction to running but that I wasn't finding it all that enjoyable, and that I was beginning to have some minor niggles in my knees. (keeping in mind I was only doing about 20km's a week at this point).  Barry put it to me bluntly; "Get off the road and get on the trails"

2 weeks later I had my first real trail run in the Adelaide Hills with my also newbie runner niece.  OMG, I fell in love with the trails right there.............  Since that weekend, which was just a simple weekend, no plan run, I have become obsessed.

This to me, is why I run.  Should I one day land on a podium, great!  If not, guess what; you'll still see me out there 4-5 times a week pounding a fire trail or weaving through a technical single track.

So in essence, NO, I don't see any reason to be making any changes to my training programme for 2013 except for the continual increase in monthly mileage and some strategic rest periods circulating major events.

It's this 'home made' programme that got me from the 'couch to trails' in such a short time frame with no injuries beyond a few blisters and a black toenail.

2013 - run by your heart, not your watch.............

No comments:

Post a Comment