Monday, October 13, 2014

Post race: The Danger Zone......

Thought for tonight:

How many times have you been part way through an event saying to yourself "Why am I doing this?". "Never doing this again", just to find yourself in the same event the next year, getting to the same point thinking, 'hang on, I said I wasn't doing this again!" lol

If you're like me, and most others, this is like groundhog day with runners on.  Don't get me wrong, I friggin love running and the buzz from events just make things more electric.  But there's something about those moments during the low times that can have you questioning your mentality.....  Have you thinking all those 'well meaning' friends maybe right to have you committed to the local support group because "you're crazy".

However.......... no matter how low those lows may be, and no matter how you struggled through, there is always the age old Newtons' saying "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction".  I believe this is true with distance running.  The lowest of lows in my past events have often had me coming out within 48hrs post race with the highest of highs.  I'm not going to bore everyone with nerdy talks on endorphins and blah blah.  All I'm going to say is we've all been there.......  The night of and up to the following 2 days is 'glory time' to reflect back on the day.  Even if you've had a shocker outcome, there's still something going on inside that makes you tick.

This is what I'm dubbing as "The Danger Zone"
By %, how many events do you think people sign up for whilst within the 48hr post event period?  If it's anything like me, it'd have to be somewhere in the 80% region.  I can't help myself.  My wife gets nervous when I go near a computer or smart phone within 2 days of an event.  She knows I'll be signing up all over the place.  I'm thinking it's not too long until my credit card is confiscated during this costly timeframe.  (note to self, write down my credit card details in advance)

But true to my nutbag character, my advice is, EMBRACE THE DANGER ZONE!!!! It's because of this that I've signed up for events that normally I should be thinking no way, just to find I had a blast, then hit the Danger Zone again.  And so the vicious cycle continues......

I don't know how to get off this rollercoaster, but hey, why would I want to?

No comments:

Post a Comment